5 Ways You Can Get Out of Paying For Auto RepairPosted August 26, 2014 by Ken Kupchik
Every dollar counts these days, and finding new ways to save money can go a long way. Auto repair is an unpleasant, and typically unexpected expense, so getting out of having to pay for it is very appealing. While most people will gladly pay to make sure their car is safe on the road, some will try anything to avoid the repair bill. Here are some ways you can get out of paying.
1) Do it yourself - If you can perform repairs yourself, you will never have to part with your hard-earned money and pay a mechanic. However, unless you are very handy or have some sort of experience, you will be very limited in the repairs that you will be able to perform. Mechanics are trained in the intricacies of modern vehicles and have all of the tools to perform complicated repairs. But you can get out of paying if you just work on your car yourself.
2) Don't repair it - Option 2 isn't highly recommended, but is actually something that quite a few people are doing anyway. Even if your car is making terrifying noises, and driving incorrectly, you can avoid paying for auto repair by ignoring any potential issues. Of course, this might result in vehicle breakdown, and pose risks to your safety, but it's also a sure-fire way to keep your money where it belongs, in your own pockets.
3) Trade your services - Auto mechanics prefer to work for money. However, if you're the type of person looking to get out of paying for your auto repair work, you can always try to barter your services with the mechanic. Of course, you will need to be able to offer something of value if you want this plan to succeed. Doing the mechanic's taxes, cleaning the break room, and cooking a wonderful meal are all potential options, but you'll need to make sure the mechanic is a willing participant before starting anything.
4) Have a friend do it for free - Lots of people have a friend, relative, or co-worker who is "handy" and can supposedly work on cars. Recruiting them to perform your automotive repair can be a good option if you're willing to take the risk. Unfortunately, many mechanics report seeing damaged cars brought in after someone did just that; had a friend who convinced them that they knew what they were doing work on the car, so be careful. But if you can convince someone to work for free, you will get out of paying for your auto repair.
5) Walk everywhere - This last option is an absolutely foolproof way of getting out of paying for auto repair. Simple forget the car altogether, and walk wherever you need to go. The downsides, of course, are that people with long commutes will spend hours walking to work, and those who live in areas with harsh winters are opening themselves up to frostbite. But if you really, really don't want to pay for auto repair again, get rid of the car, buy some comfortable shoes, and start walking.